The purpose of Vietnam Veterans of American, Inc.
- To help foster, encourage, and promote the improvement of the condition of the Vietnam veteran.
- To promote physical and cultural improvement, growth, and development, self-respect, self-confidence, and usefulness of Vietnam-era veterans and others
- To eliminate discrimination suffered by Vietnam veterans and to develop channels of communications which will assist Vietnam veterans to maximize self-realization and enrichment of their lives and enhance life-fulfillment.
- To study, on a non-partisan basis, proposed legislation, rules, or regulations introduced in any Federal, State, or local legislative or administrative body which may affect the social, economic, educational, or physical welfare of the Vietnam-veteran or others; and to develop public proposals designed to improve the quality of life of the Vietnam-era veteran and others especially in the areas of employment, education, training, and health.
- To conduct and publish research, on a non-partisan basis, pertaining to the relationship between Vietnam-era veterans and the American society, the Vietnam War experience, the role of the United States in securing peaceful co-existence for the world community, and other matters which affect the social, economic, educational, or physical welfare of the Vietnam-era veteran or others.
- To assist disabled and needy war veterans including, but not limited to, Vietnam veterans and their dependents, and the widows and orphans of deceased veterans.